Today I awoke to
Charlie excitedly showing Lucy the roof terrace, the garden, and the chickens.
I unwrapped myself from underneath the mosquito net, we took our collection of
pills and vitamins, ate a breakfast of freshly squeezed we aren’t sure with
eggs and avocado, and we headed out for the day. After the errands we took for
bottled water and cash, we drove to Nsambya Babies Home, Kirabo’s former orphanage.
They were so excited to see Kirabo. All of the mamas came running out and gave
him hugs. They all talked about how tall he was but his eyes were still the
same. Four years ago, when we dropped by the orphanage to say goodbye, Kirabo
looked so uncomfortable there and he kept trying to leave. This time, he smiled
and met the mamas with hugs and played with the kids. At one point he said to
James, “I don’t want to leave. This use to be home.” He was feeling nostalgic
and a little home sick. Then, he added with a smile, “If my family could stay
with me.” We went to Justine’s office and saw the pictures I had sent her of
Kirabo growing up over the last few years. They were all over her board. Kirabo
loved seeing himself up there, knowing they were still thinking of him. A few
days before we left for Uganda, Kirabo and Lucy came to me and said, “We want
to bring some of our toys to the kids at the orphanage.” So we went through and
filled a big duffle bag of toys, books, clothes, and shoes. We brought our
duffle bag of goodies to the orphanage, a USA soccer ball, and some blow pops. We
decided to come back on Sunday when all the kids were out of school to give
them all blow pops. So we played with the babies and little children. Charlie
and Kate looked for familiar faces but those children we had played with 4
years ago were at school so we’ll see them Sunday. We had asked about a little
girl we remembered named Memory, and she was next door at school. They brought her over from
school to say hi. She has grown up so much and still had her beautiful smile. Charlie found a new favorite,
Julius, and was immediately chasing him around and flipping him over on his lap.
Kate headed for the babies and took turns holding them, wet clothes and all.
Alice, Lucy, and Kirabo played on the merry go round set with the children and
pushed them on the swing. Lucy found a stuffed Winnie the Pooh and gave it to a
little girl while she pushed her on the swing. There was a special needs boy
who couldn’t talk or walk and he desperately wanted to be held up on his feet.
Charlie, Kate, Alice, and Lucy all took turns walking him up and down the
walkway. Lucy got a little nervous as he was holding on tight and almost the
size of her! There were twin babies two months old that were tiny and so
precious. Their mother died in child birth and their father already had 7
children so couldn’t take care of them. He said he would come back for them
some day. We visited Kirabo's old bed. He remembered right where it was and ran to it. He couldn't even fit in it! I can't believe how much he has grown! I couldn't find Charlie, and similar to his reaction during our last visit, he was in a corner, tenderly holding a child and caressing her head. He looked up and said, "Mom, I need to leave." Surprised by this comment I asked why. He said with emotion, "Because I just want to adopt them all." Later Lucy approached me with her big eyes and asked, "But why can't we live here for just a year if it means we can adopt one more." I love their big hearts. I wish I did have capacity for one more. However, I'm forever grateful for the biggest blessing in all of our lives, our sweet Kirabo.
The adoption laws have changed in this country so you are unable to
adopt unless you live here for a year. Because adoptions are now few and far
between, the orphanage funds have dried up and they are even more desperate. Even Frances who made most of his living driving adoptive families around while
they came for a few months said his last paying job was 1 ½ months ago and he
had to pull his children out of school. It breaks our hearts. Frances has been
helping us maintain the wells so he is been able to make a little bit here and
there, but it is difficult to see these good people engaged in such a good
work, and struggling so much.
We had to run to the mall to visit the slides Kirabo use to play on in between appointments four years ago. He use to climb to the top of the play structure and just sit and watch the cars go around and around the round a bout.
We had a great lunch at Café Java with Frances,
a favorite of ours from last time. We all had to get our milkshakes and chicken
curry! Frances and I laughed when Kirabo came over crying and said Charlie told
him to eat a fry which he had secretly covered in Tabasco. I looked at Frances
and said, “Big brothers are the same in every country.” We made plans to take
Frances’ children and Godfrey to the soccer game on Friday and Frances talked
about how the safari we went on together was a highlight of his life. We can’t
wait to go back next week together again. James, Alice and Lucy never got to go
so they are especially excited about it. Charlie said, "I'm really excited to go again. I feel like last time I was more about the cool pool and mango juice than the safari, but this time I really appreciate how amazing the animals are." Frances let the villagers know we are coming to tour the wells and see them. We leave at 6:30 am tomorrow and drive
3 hours there. They are eagerly awaiting our arrival and I desperately wish all
of the people who gave so much to fund these wells could be there with us to meet their
grateful hearts. I can't wait!
 |
| Justine, owner of Nsambya, and two nuns |
 |
| one of the mamas |
 |
| Alice with Memory |
 |
| Charlie met his match in Julius |
 |
| All of the kids playing together |
 |
| Love this reflective moment I caught |
 |
| This little girl couldn't get enough of Charlie. She kept touching his face. |
 |
| Kirabo found his old bed! He didn't fit anymore. We couldn't believe how small they looked now! |
 |
| Lucy playing with Winnie the Pooh and the baby girl |
 |
| Back home cuddling |
Incredible. This is such a life changing trip for your whole family. Life's challenges are really put into perspective.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to tell us the rest of the story. What an amazing adventure this has been for your entire family and friends. All our love. Ann and Lee
ReplyDelete