our family at the moment

our family at the moment
our family at the moment

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I am a child of God


Carma and the kids got in late Monday night.  They arrived around midnight with gigantic smiles on their faces.  The first thing they did was run to my room to sneak a peak of Kirabo through his mosquito net.  There he was, curled up, just like any other 3 year old boy sound asleep.  After the collective “oohs” and “ahhs,” they all collapsed exhausted in bed.  I tucked all three in bed in their mosquito nets and headed off to my own bed.
All together!  Carma is taking the picture :(
















Kirabo's first bed when he came to Nsambya
Tuesday, after taking care of some business with my lawyers and trying to collect my paperwork for my visa file, we headed to Nsambya Babies Home to show them where Kirabo spent the last year and a half.  I was worried about how Kirabo would do but he seemed o.k.  He certainly never cracked a smile but he seemed to be somewhat confident he belonged to me now and this was just a visit.  



The eating area where we first saw Kirabo and he saw us

bathtub
potty training toilets
nighttime bathroom, by the bunkroom

toilet
We got a tour of the home and then went to the yard where the children were playing.  Most of the children had only shirts on and very runny noses.  Many of the children who did have pants on had soiled through them.  The children were excited to play in the small bin of soapy water full of bath toys.  The mamas give baths before lunch time but don’t use soap, so Carma and I wondered aloud if this soapy water was meant to compensate.  They quickly got into a water fight typical of any group of children gathered around water.  The atypical part was that when the younger kids were repeatedly dumped with soapy water by the older kids, they would just sit there, close their eyes and take it.  We weren’t sure if we should intervene as some of the little ones would blow bubbles out their noses and mouths. They were all covered in soap and didn’t seem to be breathing very easily!  Eventually one little girl named Memory started crying.  The 3 mamas continued to sit there on their bench gazing out toward the hill beyond completely unphased.  Finally, Carma went over and tried in vain to wipe her face off with her hand.  Charlie and Kate noticed over and over how if the children cried, no one would come to help and give comfort.  This really bothered them and I think they began in that moment to understand with deeper empathy what Kirabo’s history was like. 
Carma and Memory
Charlie was really drawn to this little girl, Josephine, sitting by herself in the corner away from the activity.  He went over on his own and talked to her and stayed with her.  He wanted to hold her but realized she was sitting in a puddle of her urine and her pants were soaking.  She was the cutest little girl you’ve ever seen.  He rubbed her arm and kept her company.  He was in a somber and contemplative mood as he sat and took it all in.  We had just seen two babies a few weeks old who had been found on the side of the road.  One of them was picked up by Justine right after our court case on November 1st and had been 1 day old.  They were laying on a cot side by side.  Long after we had left the babies’ room, Charlie had lingered, unable to process how that could ever happen.  It was difficult to see these sweet babies just laying there with no one to hold them and love them.  He sat there now, next to this darling little girl, desperately wanting to take them all home. 
Charlie and Josephine
Meanwhile, Kate was right in the middle of the action.  She was at the tub of soapy water playing with the children with the biggest smile on her face.  She was giving it all she had with absolutely no thought in her mind of who’s face was covered with yellow mucous, who had a deformity, or who lacked clothes and who smelled of urine.  She bounded toward the little girl Charlie was sitting by, picked her up, twirled her around and held her tight, soaked pants and all.   She joyfully exclaimed, “Mom, I’m just so happy, this is the best day ever!”
Kate and the little girl

My heart was full.  This opportunity helped facilitate what I want for my children.  How important it is for them to have an idea of the world around them.  How I want for them to have a sense of duty to their world, of ownership. I want for them to have a sense of life outside the cushy suburb of Orinda, to be able to relate to all people despite differences.  That is what I want for them.  Even if it was for a brief moment today, I was touched that sweet Charlie and Kate both really understood, in completely different and unique but very real ways, how we are all God’s children and every single one of us deserves to be loved.
 As I rocked Kirabo that night and sang my nightly song to him, “I am a Child of God,” I was overcome with more conviction then ever before, how true it was for everyone.  And I knew my children felt it too, in a very real way. 
Charlie in the bunk room where Kirabo slept
Charlie and Kate playing with the kids 
Kirabo playing with his friends after some hesitation on his part




Kate, Kirabo and Nurse Anna
Betty and Sylvia

5 comments:

  1. I love that Charlie and Kate are able to experience this. What a treasure and how awesome for them to be able to love their new little brother that much more. I've had people question why I'm trying to adopt from Ethiopia when there's so much need here in the States, like I need to be taking care of my "own". But just like this post I respond that I believe we're all children of God and this is what's right for my fam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you don't want 2?? Maybe you could could bring Memory home for me!! Seriously, I think I would get attached to all of them. :) They are so sweet, and it is amazing that people could leave their kids. I am glad there are people like you and James that are willing to sacrifice, time and money to go far and help were help is needed. I'm so glad to see picts of Kate and Charlie. I'm sure you are glad they are there too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should say "time and money" in addition to a lOT OF LOVE!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special experience for Charlie and Kate. They were so loving with those children. We are deeply touched by this blog. We are glad that Kiraboo was not aprehenisve that you were going to leave him there. It shows how well you have bonded. Wonder what went through his mind. We are so grateful for your example of love, for your sacrifices to make this all happen for your family and for the blessings this is to us as a family to share in it second hand through your blog. Love to each of you. Dad and Mom. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed at the experience Kate and Charlie are having at such a young age. It will change their lives forever.

    ReplyDelete