At church last Sunday when Kirabo ran up to this older gentleman and started hugging him and playing with him, James began to inch forward. He grew fidgety and I could tell he was trying to insert himself to break up the impromptu play date. After, he commented, "I was so jealous of that man. I just wanted it to be me." Today Kirabo and I went to Caffe Roma for some lunch and this woman who worked there wanted to take him off to a playground in the back. I thanked her for the offer and told her I would take him. As we walked back she tried to explain it was her job to play with the kids in the back. As politely as I could I told her I could take him. She grabbed his hand, then I grabbed the other. I continued to try to say that we were fine, but she continued to try to walk him around and play with him. I kept telling myself that this was getting ridiculous but I couldn't stop.
Before we came I read all about how important attachment is. No one has ever regretted putting too much time and energy into attaching but there are certainly those who wish they had spent more. We saw an attachment therapist who specializes in international orphanages and she reiterated how important it was. Everything we read talked about how we need to establish ourselves as their primary caregivers and we need to be the one to meet all their needs. Orphans typically are capable of forming many superficial attachments and will tend to go easily to the gentleman at church or the woman at the caffe. What is important is severing those and concentrating on deep primary attachments with mom and dad. I've been cradling him everyday in a blanket, feeding him a bottle and trying to help him become comfortable with the intimacy of eye contact. The first time we did it, his eyes were darting every direction except towards mine. Now, he easily grabs his blanket and crawls into my arms and can hold a gaze about 2-3 seconds. It is an amazing accomplishment for him.
We learned all about attachment and are now even more convinced than ever of the importance of helping little Kirabo attach to us. However, in these experiences I have realized how important it is for me too. I realized I am a jealous mama. I don't just need that attachment with him, I want it. It's not just something I need to do for him, but something I want to do for me. I want to be the center of his universe, his everything. It's something we take for granted with our biological children. That eye contact while we feed our babies, the constant cradling and comfort we provide for our little ones which they return a hundred fold to us. It's just not for them, it's for us too. There is something very unsettling watch the child you love walk off easily hand in hand with someone else as if it were you. It might sound too soon to say this and I wouldn't have believed it before this trip, but I do love him with all of my heart. Something happened to me that day in the orphanage when he kept peeking up at us. He knew we were his and we knew he was ours.
So there you have it, I am a jealous mama. And proud of it.
I love this post!!!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet... It's not weird. You have been praying for him for a long time now and I think those prayers totally help you feel connected to each other, even before you saw him! Not only have you been praying for him, you have been wanting him for a long time. It's like when you have a baby... you, know that baby is coming and the instant you hold them and even before you love that baby a lot more than the baby loves you. Babies just need you.
ReplyDeleteBut, Kirabo needs you too and those attachment successes will keep coming more and more often as you keep loving and serving him. This post makes me want to hug my kids and play with them a little more, because I know they love it and I take that way too much for granted.
Thanks for being an inspiration and tell kirabo he has lots of aunts and uncles that love him and are praying for him too. :)
Dear Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteThis was one of our favorite blogs. Your description of holding and loving and feeding him really touched us--getting his gaze for several seconds. What an amazing accomplishment so fast.
Thanks for sharing your feelings of love and being a jealous mama! That was neat! We are so happy for you and for him. We are anxious each day to read your blog and imagine more what you are experiencing. We love and admire each of you. We pray for you often. Love, Mom and Dad xo
Again I posted some comments and they disappeared. I loved the jealous mama. Good for you!! You are doing everything right. I'm thinking of Carma Charlie and Kate tonight as they prepare for their journey. Our prayers are surely with them. You are a fabulous mother and dad and I are so proud of you. Each generation is suppose to learn and surpass the one before and you have certainly gone way beyond. Love mom and dad
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I can already tell that I'm going to be learning a lot from you from this experience (and also how to play better badminton). I've been thinking about you and James a ton lately and I'm just so proud to know you guys! I love that you jumped in without knowing what you were going to find and I absolutely love that you have found Kirabo. I love that there are going to be more black kids at Aspen Grove this next summer. Keep documenting your experiences. It gives me hope that it might happen for us too. As you well know it gets so discouraging just waiting and wondering if it will ever happen. And following along with you and knowing what you've been through makes me think we'll be there too. I hope! I hope! I hope! You're awesome Rebecca! My name is Amy and I'm a jealous mama too!!
ReplyDeleteok you crack me up...:) No one knows what it's like jumping in with nothing but your faith more than you guys do. Thanks for your amazing examples to me!
DeleteI totally get this. All of it. Something happened to me that day in the orphanage too and I have never looked back. Hard to explain in words. I too still love those bottle times with eye contact. We can finally do a whole bottles worth of eye contact! From one jealous mama to another. Can't wait to see pics of your older kids with him.
ReplyDeleteAnd Thank YOU for giving me the idea of doing the bottle! Although, I find it hard to believe I'll ever get up to a whole bottles worth of eye contact!
Deleteloved this post!
ReplyDelete