 |
| on the way to the park...sights and sounds of Uganda |
Friday was a fabulous day with Kirabo. We had nothing to do so we went to a few
different African craft markets and bought some gifts. We went to the playground at the mall and he
LOVED that! Kirabo
has discovered that while originally tentative of the “slide” he really quite
enjoys it. He also loved the punching bag! Then, we got some lunch at Caffe Javas and I got him a
chocolate milk shake (truth be told, I was just really craving one). He took one sip of that milk shake and looked
at me and just planted a big old kiss right on my lips! It was adorable! Oh, he just melts my heart! We went home for a nap but it had become too
late and so we just had quiet time in our room for a few hours. We read books, learned animal sounds, played
with cars, I taught him the song with the 5 little monkeys which he learned all
the hand motions to and we wrestled and tickled of course.
 |
| attacking the punching bag |


Friday was such a great day with him that I let my guard down
just a bit and got up to turn out the hall light after I tucked him in bed and
he totally flipped out. Once I put him down for a nap or to sleep at night, I don't leave the room. This time I was just going to reach around the wall to turn off the light. He got up and ran out of the room and out of the guest home. I caught him and held him tightly and tried to tell him I wasn't going anywhere and I was always going to be here but he doesn't understand much and at that point he was beyond logic. It was two hours of him just clinging to me
with his whole body wrapped tightly around me and his breathing short and
quick. Every time I moved even a muscle, the whole thing started over again. I finally took him in my bed and he wrapped his arms and legs around me and buried his face in my neck and finally let his body relax as he drifted off into a fitful sleep that night. It breaks my heart how much pain a 3 year old heart can go through and
how broken it can already be. Lesson learned. The next day he was even very clingy and wanted me to carry him everywhere. I'm so glad I have this time with him now away from the busy day
to day that will come too soon. It is such a great sign to me he did break down
and then cling to me because it tells me he really is attaching. The
process of opening your heart up to someone hurts because you are also opening
yourself up to be hurt and that can be scary, especially when it’s happened at
such a base level for him. The
withdrawn, hollow stare was what worried me more and I haven't seen that in a
while. I think it will get worse before it gets better, but really it's necessary and an important part of healing.
I must
admit, I’m quite enjoying my one on one time with Kirabo.
This has been precious time for he and I which, moving forward, won't be nearly as often when you have a big family.
But, while a big family can lack more individual attention, it also means
lots and lots of love, laughter and people who have your back. Welcome to our family Kirabo!
| Fell asleep while reading his favorite book |
| I can't get over his facial expression when we pray. He is trying so hard ! |
  |
| He loves to stand there and feel the rain |
 |
Little Donkey celebrating when Ryan got his passport. With Ryan McCammack and Clint and Carla Hemner |
UPDATE ON CARMA AND KIDS: I was in the middle of this blog when I received an urgent email from Carma...so for the last 6 hours I've been on the phone talking to everyone I could to find any kind of exception for them. (I took a moment out of that time to post an urgent call for prayers!) Our combined prayers worked because after hours of trying, James finally got to the right person at KLM and I got to the right person at the Immigration desk at the Entebbe airport and Carma went back to the airport and got the right person there and despite 3 shift changes in immigration, they all talked and got special clearance for them to get on the airplane tomorrow. They will finally arrive in Entebbe at 10:30 pm tomorrow. They are completely exhausted emotionally and physically and a little shaken up, but they will get here. It means so much to me to know my kids were in such capable and loving hands the whole time despite haven't slept at all. Thanks so much Carma! Also...as a note...all US Embassy's are worthless in my book.
Thanks so much for all your kind words through posting here and emails. It means so much to both James and I. To my texters: my phone hasn't had service in over a week so if you've been texting me...email instead! Anyway, I love hearing about all of you and what's been going on so keep in touch!
I just read the entire blog top to bottom with tears in my eyes. I am so happy for you! Thanks for including me in your journey. I am so sorry we weren't in touch sooner but am, as always, grateful for your friendship and your amazing example of love. Keep the posts coming! Best of luck as everything gets sorted out. Are Kate and Charlie with you yet???
ReplyDeleteI just read about the kids and Carma! How frustrating. I'm so glad they are almost there though. The time has been going fast for me.... I'm sure not so fast for you. :) I can't believe Charlie and Kate are there already. I can't wait to see how Kirabo fits in with them. I bet you are so excited to see them and they to see you! What a great sister you have who is willing to take time to travel across the world. You have many people who love and support you on this journey! Love the posts and pictures... I feel like I'm getting to know the little man even though I haven't met in person yet. I love him already!! Tell Kate and Chuck hi from us!
ReplyDelete