our family at the moment

our family at the moment
our family at the moment

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Process Update


Process Update:
Yesterday our written court ruling was picked up 3 hours away in Masaka where we went to court which was very exciting!  We got some frustrating news though that our short birth certificate was kicked back due to handwriting on it.  Someone from our lawyer’s office drove down and picked up a new one and now needs to re-file the long form birth certificate which apparently she did Tuesday.  Our next step is filing our paperwork for his Ugandan passport which at the moment is the step that takes the longest.  I know someone who couldn’t file for the passport because she didn’t have the long form birth certificate yet, however my lawyer (who was the same lawyer she used) said it’s just fine and we filed for the passport today.  It makes no sense and I can not get a lawyer to call me back from that office and I’m left to speak to the social worker/receptionist who has no answers and we are suspecting just tells us what we want to hear with a slight smirk.  So, tomorrow I’m going down there and sitting in that office until someone answers my questions!  However, if things are really as they say they are, then we have filed for our passport today and they say generally it is a 10 business day wait.  That puts me getting the passport around Thanksgiving time.  Again, I know very few people who have received it in 10 days or less as of late.  I met one woman who has been waiting 5 weeks just for her passport and another who took about 1 ½ weeks so it’s anybody’s guess.  So please send good thoughts my way over here that everything is as they say it is and we have no further complications with mistakes, etc.  We have asked over and over for them to re-read and re-read all documents to make sure all information is the same throughout as this can be a common problem and cause major delays.

Our update: 
James just left for the airport this evening.  He tried to explain to Kirabo that he was leaving but would be back.  We doubt he could understand him but he looked very sad and whimpered a little so I think he may have gotten the point.  I won’t see James for 2 ½ weeks until he comes back and we’ve never been apart this long.  It’s now been 1 ½ weeks since I’ve seen the kids and I’ve never been apart from them this long.  My heart aches.  I knew this was going to be hard on everyone and with perspective, it could be much more difficult than it is.  Kirabo is doing amazing.  He is a completely different boy than he was a week ago.  The fact that he whimpered when James said goodbye is such a good sign because it means he has started attaching to us.  Although, I think he has attached a little more to James than myself.  As hard as it is to say goodbye to James, it will be good for me to spend some one on one time with him. 

Kirabo update:
Kirabo is much more quick to laugh, he doesn’t get as withdrawn in new situations as he use to and it’s been about 3 days since I’ve seen that lonely, sad and hollow stare.  His countenance has completely changed.  He eats amazingly well and everything we feed him.  He even ate a huge bowl of gnocchi with tomato sauce yesterday and a beef burrito with guacamole today!  We’ve been giving him as much iron rich foods as possible including beet root juice and liver plus his iron supplement so I’m anxious to re-test his iron in one more week.  He is sweating a lot now which means he’s finally getting hydrated and he is climbing stairs much easier so he is getting some muscle tone.  (He was very weak when he met him)  He seems to be understanding so much of what we say to him and he’s starting to try to say a few words back to us in English.  He’s very hesitant to do so.  When he falls or bumps himself, he doesn’t completely fall apart anymore and he even holds the door open for me all the time!  He puts everything away without being asked and folds his towel up when he is done washing his hands.  He washes his hands almost constantly, we can’t get him to stop!  His biggest struggle is falling asleep.  I lay with him for over an hour every nap and night time and I can’t leave him so now, I’m on my bed typing this while he’s squirming around on his bed.  He does stay in bed however.  Really, things couldn’t be going smoother and we feel very blessed in every way. 

He is truly our little miracle and all heart!  It is an honor for us to have him join our family.  Charlie, Kate and Carma get here in 4 days and I am excited for them to meet little Kirabo and get to know and appreciate his country!
His first haircut...for us!

He was very uncertain about the whole experience
tucking his monkey in bed
Giggling and tickled with himself

He will NOT take off his hat, he LOVES it!
"I'm going to get you."  Kirabo and James started this and doing this gesture with their hands to each other and it meant they were about to wrestle fight.  Kirabo loved it!

We loved the chips and guacamole here


3 comments:

  1. Wow! What progress so quickly with his emotions! It's amazing what a little/lot of love can do for a sweet spirit. I can't wait to meet him ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got caught up and either I was grinning ear to ear or crying. I can't even believe it! My cheeks are hurting. I love it! I love it! I love it! I love his smile! I love how stinkin' blonde and white you look next to him! I love how much he loves James! I love that you're there! I love that it's happening for you! I love that I might be raising his future wife! I love that he's improving so much! I love that I've been able to be a part of this journey! I love his hat! I love that you're dressing him in BYU clothes! I love that he loves his monkey! and his ball! and you guys! I love that I'll have someone to ask questions of when we hopefully go through our journey! I just love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One nice thing is that he will have boy hair! Easy to do. :) He looks so cute in that hat.. I'm glad he won't take it off.

    ReplyDelete