The second Kevina
got in the car, she pulled out a piece of paper and put it in my lap. I unfolded it and it was a record of her pap
smear 2 years ago. I saw the words
abnormal and atypical and knew what was coming.
She kept holding her stomach and moaning. She would talk to Francis and he would nod
but never translated. I didn’t follow
up. I got the feeling he was protecting
us from a request. Kevina was a
determined woman and clearly had a mission.
Her request presented itself again on the ride home.
We
eventually pulled into Gertrude’s home, the various relatives lined up sitting
on the crumbling foundation footing in front of her home. This
home was a tad bigger than Kevina’s.
There was a small sitting room and a bedroom off to the side. There was a small open air hut behind the home that acted as the kitchen, one tiny
square hut with a door and then a small hut with a hole in the ground for the
bathroom. Kevina’s place just had a tiny
covered area for her fire to cook and no bathroom. According to Francis, they just go to the
bathroom wherever and use their hands to wipe.
I was feeling excited to eat the food now…
Charlie and Kate were having a blast chasing the chickens through the corn stalks, and looking at the cow and goat and pigs. Kirabo, less enthusiastic, was keeping up with them but a little more uncertain and deliberate in his actions. Everywhere he went at Kevina’s and Gertrude’s, he was the main attraction and all the women would just tug at him and grab him and hug him. He would let them but anyone who was sympathetic to his plight could tell he had completely withdrawn into himself in order to deal with this day. What he must have been feeling, I will never know and can only guess.
Francis returned with the group of people that had helped Kirabo and that car ride proved very valuable as Francis picked up more detail from those who had seen first hand what Kirabo had been through and hadn’t dared put into their affadavits. Tears were flowing
and hearts were breaking for what had been but then we were able to look
forward to the future with joy and hope and incredible gratitude for a good
Heavenly Father who had answered the prayers in our hearts. I held Kirabo tighter as we all went inside
for the lunch.
| Anuscianta, one of Kirabo's angels |
| Godalive, the other of Kirabo's angels |
Everyone spoke and as they went around the room they each thanked us and begged us to
bring Kirabo back so he could see where he comes from and stay in touch with his roots. We promised over and over to each person that
spoke that we would. I noticed Godfrey
had silently removed himself from the room sometime during the speeches and had
turned on music from his phone and was sitting outside listening to the music
drown out the words coming from inside.
Later I would find out why.
James' was the final speech and represented our family. He did a marvelous job and was very
eloquent. He addressed their concerns and looked right at each person in the room and said “We
want you to know how proud we are of Kirabo’s culture and heritage. We honor his roots and look forward to
returning when he is older so he can learn more about them and see you all again.” He also said, “You have all mentioned that
you had been praying for Kirabo. We want
you to know we have been praying for him for two years and God has heard all of
our prayers.” The room erupted in
applause.
After the speeches, Mattia asked if
we could kneel down while they all prayed for us. We obliged and everyone else stood up and put
their hands out in the air over our heads and Mattia began to pray. After a few minutes, the rest of the room all joined him in a collective prayer. It was very
touching. Then, they all started singing
the most beautiful song in three part harmony.
I had to capture this moment.
Keeping my head bowed, I snuck my arm down to the side and flipped my
video camera on. I tilted the camera a
little bit to see if I could get anyone.
I mostly just could get Mattia, but then as I tilted the camera down by
my side, I saw a face staring down right into the camera. Busted, I pulled my hand away like a scolded
child. I reflected that in that group,
there were catholics, pentacostals and latter-day saints. We all came together and prayed together and
talked of God and faith and prayers together.
It was a beautiful moment when we were all similar and seemed to speak
the same language.
It
was now time to say goodbye to Godlive.
I had bought angel pins and Tina had wrapped them beautifully for me. I handed her a thank you note with a little bit of money as a small
token of gratitude to try to repay her for what she sacrificed to give to
Kirabo, and I gave her the gift. I held her
hands and looked into her eyes and said, “Thank you Godlive, for being Kirabo’s
angel and helping him to live.” I knew
that even if she didn’t completely understand what I was saying, she heard
me. She looked back into my eyes and we both
knew what I was saying. She knew that I knew how instrumental she had been in his life. She hugged me
tight on both sides and I got in the car.
My heart was full of love for this dear woman.
I had asked
Francis when he was with Godlive sometime this day to find out where she gets
her water. She told him she walks 3 km
(about 2 miles) to the nearest well. That well
serves 3 villages including Gertrudes and is a pump well which is tough to use. James and I would like to try to fundraise
when we get home in order to raise money for a well to put in the village. All those children that go to that school
would be able to access it as well as helping those that played a beautiful role in Kirabo's life.
We headed to
Butumbala where we were going to drop off Kevina and Harriett. She started in again on talking to
Francis. He finally started translating
and confirmed our suspicions. She was
boldly asking for 200,000 shillings ($80) for medication for her bad pap smear. The car got very quiet. James and I quietly discussed what to
do. We had no proof
this medication cost this much and if she actually needed it. The test was for 2 years ago! We told Francis that when she got out of the
car to please tell her how sorry we are but we have put a little money in her
thank you card and that will have to be enough.
She understood and I thanked her and hugged her. On our way back to the main road we passed a
hot ciapatti stand outside and James got out to buy us all hot ciapatti for
dinner. Godfrey said we would get the
muzungu (white person) price and hopped out to buy them instead. We ended up paying $2.50 for 14 ciapatti! There’s no way James would have ended up with
that price! Godfrey use to work at a
ciapatti stand and I asked if his tasted like this and without hesitating he
said, “Mine are better.” I told him I
wanted to learn and he said if I had the time, he would teach me. I wish I could figure out how to make that
happen!
| Saying goodbye to Nantume, aunt who raised Angella after her parents died |
| Mpigi District, where Kirabo is from, is right on the Equator |
| One of the trading centers (downtown) in the district |
Francis told me that when we were riding home Godfrey had a lot to say about his family. He said that while these women all had smiles on their faces and talked about how grateful they were for Kirabo and that Kirabo could find a good home, they never cared for him at all. He said they have these fake smiles on now and pretend to care but no one ever tried to help him and make room for him. I remembered how Godfrey had quietly served the food to everyone at Gertrude’s home and then snuck out and sat outside for the speeches. It became clear to me now that he did not want to hear the hypocracy in their words. In their minds Kirabo had no worth because there was no one to love him. Now that James and I come along and see him for the amazing spirit that he is and always has been, they now see value in him too. Now that someone loves him, he must be worth loving. Godfrey had run away to Kampala when he was a teenager, I now understood why. He has distanced himself from these people and worked hard to live an honorable life as a respectable man. He is doing a wonderful job.
When we returned home late in the evening, our internal and withdrawn Kirabo disappeared and with a big smile he hopped out of the car and ran with us into the guest home. He wrestled and giggled but mostly wanted to cuddle. He was happy he was home.
As an aside: We called Dr. Lincoln, our resident family oncologist, the next day and read him Kevina's pap smear. He confirmed our suspicions that there was no medicine to take for her illness. However, we both gave her points for trying.
This is really touching. It is nice to get a little background on Kirabo's family and his "roots." Thank you for continuing to include us in your journey. We would like to donate to your efforts in getting a well built/dug. It would also be a great Eagle Project for Charlie to think about in the coming years. We hope you have a safe trip home and we can't wait to meet the newest cousin. Please let us know when things calm down enough for us to come and visit.
ReplyDeleteI could barely read this through my tears, some frustration at what Godfrey/Kirabo must be feeling and some laughing at the food and little Kate lost in the sea of black (and poor Charlie getting trampled!). But I love the pictures and all of the story - thank you for sharing. I love this post.
ReplyDeleteSo neat... I love the picture with Kate and all the kids around her. Look at the picture with Charlie and Kate -- they are all staring at Kate. They must have LOVED seeing a little fair skinned beauty!! :) SO funny about the food.. You are a better woman than I to eat that. I never ate ANY weird food in Taiwan - I politely stayed away (however, I'm sure it offended people). They seemed to really be grateful for what you are doing for Kirabo. Little do they know how long you've been praying for this. Kirabo will bring so many blessings to you/our family. Can't wait for him to be HOME. Oh -- and what about "Bo" for a nickname? Just a thought my sister had, and I thought it was a great name! Good luck on the travels home. Call when you can!
ReplyDeleteWe are reading your last two posts again, and again we have tears running down our cheeks. This experience has changed our lives forever. Rebecca, you write so well that we feel so much in our hearts. Think of how many lives you have changed and enriched permanently like Godfrey and even Francis. Also the two sweet and kind Angels in Kirabos life. What a blessing it is to be a part of such a wonderful journey. We can't thank you enough. We would like to be a part of the well for the Village, or anything you would like. We loved Kirabo sitting on top of his Mama's beautiful grave. It must be so meaningful in his little life. We can only imagine how full his little mind is at this point. We are sure Charlie and Kate have been envaluable to him. Thank you again for writing down this incredible journey to share. XO
ReplyDelete