Well, I’ve officially been here one month! It still hits me with full force at times when I’m looking at a particularly beautiful and unique vista, on the receiving end of a distinct smell, getting excited over the extra helping of chiapatti I received, or running away from the 4 inch grasshopper on my pillow in the middle of the night…that I’m in Uganda halfway across the world! I started thinking back to everywhere I’ve been throughout the world. I’ve really been so blessed and lucky enough to have been able to spend several months in several different countries. Not to mention significant time in many countries all throughout the world. I've even been able to see most of our amazing country. This is my second time on the African continent and I’m just in love with it! I’ve been somewhat grounded this past decade while having children, but my wanderlust is once again ignited and I must admit, I’m already day dreaming where we are going next! I really am lucky to have seen so much of this beautiful world and learn about so many different cultures and meet so many different kinds of people, especially for extended periods of time in many cases. There’s nothing like it. So happy 1 month anniversary to me! And most importantly, thank you to everyone who has helped make this, the most important trip of my life, possible.
Our safari was
such a fun getaway from the stress of our process. We headed out 30 minutes late because I
couldn’t fine the Dramamine for Charlie and the roads the last 2-3 hours are
very bad. We made it through the rough
roads o.k. though and practically ran into a family of baboons along the
way. We got to the ferry that is suppose
to take us across the Nile River at 2:20.
We found out the 2:00 had just left and the next one was 4:00! So we sat in the sun, eating our granola bars
and dried fruit, savoring our last drops of water, throwing rocks into the Nile
and watching the 4 elephants across the river from us…for 2 hours.
We pulled into the beautiful Paraa Lodge, complete with thatched roof, and were greeted with cold towels and passion fruit juice. Our room opened out into the pool so of course we had to have a quick swim before dinner. This was Kirabo’s first time swimming and I wasn’t sure how it was going to go as he has a really difficult time with change. We are talking ‘can’t change his seat in the car or at the table ever or he completely melts down’ kind of difficult. I put his floaties on and turned around to put my bag down while Charlie dove in the water. Then, I hear another splash and giggling. I turn around and Kirabo had jumped in the deep end behind Charlie. Charlie and Kate start giggling for a split second before we all realized what had happened. It became quickly apparent that the floaties were a waste of space and that while floating, he was not pulling his head up. I snatched him out of the water and dried off his face thinking I had just ruined swimming for him and then he flashed me a huge smile and off we went to the shallow end. He sure clung to me tightly but he loved it. He loved to play in the kiddie pool and start water fights or splash us while we sat at the swim up pool bar and drank freshly squeezed mango juice. I accidentally insulted the waiter by asking if the juice was freshly squeezed. Francis just looked at me and shook his head.
Today is Saturday
and we are on our way home. I received
news on Friday from Victoria, the same lawyer that urged me to go on our
safari, that my passport was ready and they are insisting I have to pick it up
myself instead of her and I should’ve stayed home. As I have to have everything turned into the
Embassy by Monday at 10 am I asked her if we can get it before then on Monday
morning. There’s nothing we can do about
it now so I’ll just hope. As for problem #2, the judge told
the clerk on Thursday when he travelled to Masaka, that he would make the
change to my court papers but he wouldn’t do it on Thursday. So the clerk went back down Friday and he
came home with the papers. 12 hours of driving in 2 days...yikes! Then, Friday
afternoon, my witnesses still hadn’t been contacted by the lawyers so I
reminded them for the 10th time to do so. Francis, called them for me so we could make
sure they at least knew when to come to the Embassy and we realized the great
aunt who lives hours away in a remote village had a broken phone. We called some people we knew were working in
her backyard and tried to get to her through them. Meanwhile, I’m wondering what I’m paying my
lawyers for! In the end, they all know
to meet us at 2:00 at the Embassy on Monday and I am meeting the clerk at the
passport office that morning at 8 to get the passport and my court papers. Let’s hope it all comes together!
I love the picture of Kirabo's baby bum!!!! And all the pictures! What fun just to get away! Irrespective of what your "lawyers" say.... I'm glad you went. And I'm right there with you on my re-awakened wanderlust - I'm thinking Portugal ;-) Love you!
ReplyDeleteSorry, one more comment - I can't believe you got the best picture of him smiling and your sunglasses are on!!!!
ReplyDeleteoh Rebecca we are so proud of you and what you are experiencing with this sweet treasure from Heaven. Kirabo is indeed Heaven sent just like your other four children.. You and James are a very special couple with 5 beautiful children! You have accomplished a miracle in your life by trying your hardest and never never giving up. This is a goal you have instilled within your children! we are so glad you went on the safari and to have your children partake of Kirabos homeland AND to provide Kirabo this opportunity . You are an amazing daughter and we are so proud of what you and James are accomplishing.. So happy Carma could be apart too. we are happy James will be joining you again. This willl mean so much to Kirabo that he will return and start developing trust. We are such happy grandparents to have sweet Kirabo in our lives. Love always, Mom and Dad PS Cannot wait for a Kirabo hug! Love to sweet Charlie and Kate xoxxoxoxox
ReplyDelete