If I could save time in a bottle
the first thing that I'd like to do...
is to remember:
the simplicity of the truths in the lessons taught at church
the complete silence and reverence in sacrament meeting
the beautiful harmonies sang in acapella during hymns
Brother Charlie playing the prelude music and interlude hymn
the Dutch boy that stared at Kate the entire flight while she blushed
the red dirt roads surrounded by lush greenery
heads piled high with merchandise walking down the street
the begging children putting their heads inside windows of cars
caffe javas milk shakes and curry chicken
hot ciapati
warm smiles with white teeth and eyes
grace and generosity despite having nothing
a simple life and a simple attitude
trees laden with ridiculously large maribou storks
the juxtaposition of saying goodbye at the orphanage and driving straight to a resort to swim for the afternoon
Kirabo's lonely, sad eyes turned bright and twinkling
Kirabo's musical, hearty laugh
water fights, mango juice and spectacular animals on safari
the humble existence of the villagers
everywhere Kate went Ugandans loved her. They'd hug, grab, smile and follow her wherever we went.
the ability to feel abundantly blessed regardless of how much you have
is to forget:
Tucking everyone in under mosquito nets every night for six weeks
Classic quotes from the trip:
"You are the whitest person I've ever seen."
Francis to Rebecca
"You are a strong woman, but this is definately your achilles heel."
James to Rebecca when frozen in fear at the 4 inch grasshopper flying around my room in the middle of the night and unable to kill it. James was in CA at the time. Rebecca was out of luck.
"Sometimes I just want a hug from my mom when I'm cold or lonely." Kate on understanding why Kirabo wanted lots of hugs from mom on our trip. James-"Come here, I'll give you a hug." Kate- "No thanks."
"Will you be my mama?"
Lucy to first Grammie Nadauld and then Uncle Lincoln after 4 weeks without seeing her mom.
"1...2...3...Fuka!" instead of "Seka"
Rebecca said to a group of Ugandans she's taking a picture of.
(Fuka means peepee, Seka means smile)
At Friday market we gave 10,000 shillings (4.00) to Charlie and Kate to pick something out and bargain with the vendors. They both came back with the same knife but Kate had 2 other items as well.
Charlie-"That's not fair. I got the knife first and brought the price down for Kate. Then she got the price lower than me."
Dad-"Kate is just really good at bargaining."
Kate-"That's because I have a cute face."
Sights and Sounds of Uganda
Everytime we'd see something distinctly Ugandan, Francis would call out "sights and sounds!" Here are some pictures capturing them.
| Nakasero Fruit Market |
| Maribou Stork |
| Ankole Cows |
| Lion tracks |
| Kirabo's room at orphanage |
| Kids playing football in the mud barefoot |
| National Ugandan Football Match with Godfrey and Francis |
How to help:
Some have asked how they can help so James and I have identified a few different ways that are legitimate and would be the best bang for your buck. These are things that are desperately needed.
1) We are raising funds for a well to put a source of fresh water in Kirabo's village. We have identified a couple of different contacts and NGO's that do a good job in building wells here and they have both corroborated the cost of approximately $15,000-20,000. We will take donations in any amount.
2) Sponsor an older child from Kirabo's orphanage to be able to go to boarding school and get an education. You receive a picture, receipts for school, report cards, and regular updates. You can communicate with them and develop a relationship with them if you'd like. The cost for this is approximately $700.00 a year.
3) Sponsor a younger child from Kirabo's orphanage. You receive a picture of the child and the money goes directly toward the orphanage and pays for food, soap, and other necessities for the little ones. The cost for this is approximately $400.00 a year.
Let us know if you are interested in any of the above and we'd be happy to help make arrangements or provide additional information.
Bottom Line:
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support, encouragement and friendship through this. It has meant so much to us and we really needed it along the way. Thanks for your emails, and comments. I have been far away for 6 weeks and it meant a lot to get an email here and there or a comment to be able to feel somewhat connected to my friends and loved ones back in the states. We have so much to be grateful for and we have been so blessed. Thank you, thank you.
Love,
Rebecca and family
xo
I love the title of this post!! It truly says it all. I am still laughing at 1-2-3- Fuka !! I also am so so so sorry I wasn't there for the grasshopper chase. It would have really crunched!! Thanks again for sharing words and great pictures. XO
ReplyDeleteSome of your words hit home, some of them made me smile, some laugh. The way you write is beautiful Becca. You have a way with words that I knew from talking to you but have never before had the opportunity to read. I love reading your blog. You should do it all the time as your life always amazes me. Love you.
ReplyDeleteYou are the bomb diggity! I love reading about your experiences. I'm bummed though because I'm not able to see any of the photos. I'm hoping it's just my internet and they'll appear later on.
ReplyDelete