our family at the moment

our family at the moment
our family at the moment

Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Weekend


We pretty much just chilled this weekend.  Friday night we went to Ndere Cultural Center which is like our dinner theatre.  We ate a great Ugandan meal with favorites such as matooke, g-nut sauce, chapatti, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, vegetable stew, rice, cabbage salad and pineapple and papaya.  It was a feast!  We ate while we watched a cultural review of different ethnicities in Uganda through dance.  It was amazing to watch and pretty hysterical in parts too.  Kirabo was glued with big saucer shaped eyes from the second the music started.  Even when he had his food, he ate in slow motion because he wouldn't even look at his plate.  Without looking down he'd 


just grab whatever his fingers found and then put them in his mouth like one of those arcade games at carnivals with the big claw coming down to grab whatever it could find with little accuracy.  At times he'd be playing the drums on the table with his hands in time to the music.  We surprised Kate by telling them it was her birthday coming up and they brought her up on stage in front of everyone and danced with her.  She was SO embarrassed but was a good sport.  Then, while they danced with her they had the entire audience come down and congo line around the stage.  Charlie was first on stage and in front of me in the congo line. I have no idea what happened to him, but I'm telling you...Uganda has given my skinny white kid some soul!  He looked good! 

Saturday we went to lunch with my friend Billy who was my private investigator.  We ate at Cafe Roma because Kate had asked for pizza.  Billy was not a fan of the pizza but came to keep us company and got to meet Charlie, Kate and Carma.  I'm really sad because I just realized I never got a picture and don't have one of us yet!  I need to get on that!

We hung around the guest house, went to some markets, played on the playground and in the hammocks, played Skip-bo and Pit and in general chilled out! 

Hopefully I have good news to report tomorrow as I try to get my passport early and run to the embassy by 11:30 to schedule an appointment.  I hear they are backed up and so I'm worried they are scheduling really far out.  Wish me luck!



6 comments:

  1. we so love your blog AND we find ourselves checking all the time for something new. The pics are so geat and we can picture things in our minds of things you are doing Carma, Kate and Charlie we are so happy for you that you are such a part of Kirabo's life in Uganda.. He surely loves you ALL, you can see it in his eyes. We are so glad you are having so much fun. We will surely pray for you tomorrow Rebecca and hope it all works out. We miss you all so much. I will surely miss Alice and Lucy this week etc. granpa and I sure had fun with them at their school functions and rock concert. OF course i will miss my Tues. and Thursday times. Love and Hugs Mom and Dad Grandma and Grandpa We surely admire you and James Rebecca !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie and Kate seem so cute to him! What an amazing experience for all of you. Good luck tomorrow with your passport. We will keep praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably get sick of me commenting on every post.... but alas, I am never short of words. :) I was curious if Charlie played the piano in Church? I bet they were so happy to have a pianist for once, if so - and super amazed at his talent. I can imagine your so sick of "hangin' out" and want to get home already!! But, just think of all the good bonding with no other worldly things to get in your way though. I am sending good vibes for tomorrow with the passport and embassy. We will all pray for you and my kids have some pretty good faith going on over here -- could turn out well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding me? I have no idea if anyone is even reading this blog besides my few who comment- you know who you are and thanks! It means a lot to me you take the time to keep in touch. I'm thoroughly enjoying my time here, and no, I'm not at all sick of just hanging out (I'm dreading my over scheduled life that is awaiting me at home!) but of course I can't wait to hug my sweet Alice and Lucy again! But even though that is true, it's nice to hear from friends when I'm so far away. It can get a tad lonely at times. :) the transition home is going to be tough on kirabo in so many ways, especially now that I know him better, so I'm enjoying the now and soaking it up! Thx so much!

      Delete
  4. It's great to continue to read all about your adventures. I am envisioning Charlie in the conga line and it is cracking me up.
    I spent all day yesterday with your awesome little girls. They were so much fun. We ate waffles together for breakfast, then went to the Lafayette Reservoir to enjoy the playground. We read books, ate lunch (Alice said she just eats strawberries, but we convinced her to eat some grapes instead) watched a movie, oh and read some more books. Alice is an exceptional reader, she's motivated me to get Noah a little stronger in his skills. Lucy was happily greeted me with a big hug and we quickly became good friends. She asked me for help with her chores and played a little game to get her room cleaned up. She has the greatest personality.
    The night was topped off with an amazing Niners game complete with the suite, full buffet dinner, snacks and a parking pass. James and his people really spoiled us.
    The girls are doing great and they are being so good for Grammie and Grandpa. When we went to the game Grammie took them to get ice cream and then to play at the park in Orinda.
    We got all caught up on Kirabo from James. We are anxious to meet him, but we will wait for the right time. The kids are great, the house was clean and orderly, there's plenty of food, and James even put a sheet down on the sofa for me to sleep. You've trained him well!!
    Hang in there!
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mom its Alice from schoolif u see this is there anyway u can bring in my papers today by third period??

    ReplyDelete